Polythene is an incredibly versatile material and it’s used all over the world as a protective product, wrapper or container.
The impending 5p charge for supermarket carrier bags has fuelled the publicity surrounding the use of polythene and its environmental impacts. We want to show you the benefits of polythene and why you should choose it.
- When disposed of correctly it can be easily recycled and made into a wide range of other products.
- Polythene is made using a by-product of the oil refining process, and uses less energy than paper to convert the raw polymer pellets into a usable form.
- The recycling process is also low on energy use as polythene only needs to be melted and reformed.
- Paper is a common alternative to polythene, and the one material it is often compared with. The use of paper is not the environmental solution that many people think it is.
- It is estimated that to create 1 ton of copier paper using the Kraft pulping process around 24 trees are required*.
- Similar figures could be used to estimate the amount of trees required for the manufacture of paper envelopes.
- In addition to the amount of raw material, there’s also a significant amount of energy and chemicals required in the manufacturing process of paper and also recycled paper.
When choosing between using paper packaging and polythene packaging, consider the source of the raw material, the energy required to produce it and the ease of which it can be recycled – it’s easy to see why polythene is such a popular choice!
We are very environmentally conscious and we know that many of our customer are too, for further information visit our environment page.
Quality and durability:
As well as the environmental impact there are also other things to consider, such as quality and durability. Research and development of improved polythene materials allows us to provide protection whether you are looking to keep goods in a warehouse, transferring pallets during transit or posting small items direct to customers. Polythene will ensure your goods arrive safely whilst providing a cost effective solution when compared to paper envelopes and boxes.
Durability and High Strength: Polythene’s properties of high strength, versatility and durability makes it the ideal material to use when protecting most goods, regardless of size or shape.
Waterproof: With polythene you can be assured that however bad the weather your customers will receive their products without any water damage. Common alternatives to polythene, such as cardboard boxes and paper envelopes, do not protect against excessive moisture, as a result water can disintegrate the packaging and potentially damage the products.
Rip Resistance: A major concern when despatching goods with a courier or sending in the post is the quality of the packaging and the condition they will arrive when delivered. Sometimes items sent out in boxes can have damaged sides with some of the contents of the box missing. However, unlike paper, polythene is rip resistant and won’t tear easily, this means that when sending out products the packaging will still securely hold the contents.
Tamper Evident: Most of our mailing bags and envelopes feature a permanent tamper proof peel and seal strip. This creates a secure seal to send a wide range of valuable products and documents safe in knowledge that you can tell if the envelope has been opened or tampered with.
Contact us today to find out how we can help you find the right polythene packaging for your products.